You’re probably aware of the need to increase testosterone for more muscle, strength, energy, and drive (boing!…yes, that’s part of it, too!). The most convenient way of optimizing this hormone is through supplementation. But do natural testosterone boosters really work?
In this post, you’re going to get the full spectrum of testosterone boosting supplements. You will learn what they do, how they work, what ingredients are effective, and the potential side effects. You’ll also be able to decide whether or not you should take a natural test booster.
At the end of this study, you will:
- Have more knowledge about testosterone boosting supplements and how they work
- Be aware of the possible side effects, and the pros and cons
- Be able to determine if a test booster is right for you, and which type of supplement caters to your goals
**I also share the results of my top-rated test booster.
Here’s a preview of what you will learn (table of contents):
- What Do Testosterone Supplements Do?
- 6 Benefits of Increasing Testosterone
- 5 Most Common Test Booster Ingredients
- Potential Side Effects of Test Boosters
- Pros and Cons of Taking Testosterone Supplements
- Are All Natural Test Boosters the Same?
- Conclusion: Do Natural Testosterone Boosters Really Work?
What Do Testosterone Supplements Do?
If one were a smart-ass they would answer this question with the obvious:
‘Uh, test boosters boost test, bro!‘
But that’s not 100% accurate.
Testosterone supplements do not increase testosterone on their own. Rather, they contain a specific blend of nutrients that may allow your body to produce more of its own natural testosterone.
It’s important to note that we are talking about natural testosterone boosters. Not steroids, prohormones, or synthetic substances. So don’t confuse these test boosters with real testosterone. They’re not the same, not even close. We’re taking what I consider an organic approach to optimizing our hormones. Our goal is safety and effectiveness.
Here’s how natural testosterone boosters work:
- Provides your body with essential nutrients from natural sources
- Gives you a precise combination of ingredients that work together to support healthy testosterone levels
- Helps your body release it’s own testosterone naturally
Here are the key results (in theory):
- Increased lean muscle and strength
- Boosted energy levels
- Enhanced libido and sex drive
- Improved mood and heighten awareness
6 Benefits of Increasing Testosterone
Before we get further into natural test boosters, let’s first discuss the benefits of increasing testosterone. We need to answer questions like ‘Why do I need more testosterone?‘ and ‘Should I really be concerned with my testosterone levels?‘
You don’t necessarily need more testosterone. However, you do need to maintain healthy levels of testosterone. And chances are, you need to elevate your testosterone to raise it to the ideal level. This is especially true if you’re over the age of 30.
I’m going to give you the major benefits of maintaining adequate levels of this hormone and what it means for you. You’ll see that testosterone isn’t just for bodybuilders or athletes. There are also many health benefits and longevity factors that are relevant.
Testosterone can also improve your overall quality of life. It can have a positive impact on things like your mood, confidence, and even enhance brain function and memory.
These are all things that start to reverse as we age, and as our natural testosterone decreases. Our goal here is to push the opposite direction.
Here’s are six benefits of maintaining healthy testosterone levels as found on healthline.com:
- Increases lean muscle mass, which helps your body burn fat more efficiently
- Increases bone density, which lessens the risk of bone diseases
- Promotes a healthy heart by aiding in the production of more red blood cells, which may reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke
- Enhances memory and the ability to process information (some studies show there may be a reduction in risk of Alzheimer’s disease)
- Boosts sex drive and libido, and can also improve performance
- Improves mood and sense of well-being while decreasing the likelihood of depression and fatigue
5 Most Common Test Booster Ingredients
Often times we will purchase a test booster without doing the proper research. Maybe we saw it in an advertisement or a gym buddy told us about it.
I’m also guilty of this!
But it’s important to take a look at the label of any supplement that we buy (the image above is from the Prime Male label).
We need to know what each test boosting ingredient does and how it works. We should always know what we’re putting into our bodies.
Rather than asking do natural testosterone boosters work, we should be asking do the ingredients work. I’m going to highlight the ingredients that are backed by the most research.
These are all-natural ingredients. You should look for at least one of the below ingredients in any test booster label that you buy. If you do not see any of these, it’s possible that it’s not a natural supplement or the formula may be outdated. *I will update this article as new research develops.
Below are what I consider the top five testosterone boosting ingredients. This doesn’t mean that there aren’t other ingredients that work. But these are the best in regards to being safe and effective.
Here are the top 5 ingredients you should see in a quality test booster:
- Vitamin D3: Vitamin D3 has a direct link to supporting healthy testosterone levels. Research has shown that men with a Vitamin D deficiency have lower levels of testosterone.
- Combination of Zinc and Magnesium: These two essential minerals support male testosterone. Some added benefits include metabolizing nutrients and reducing muscle fatigue. There are countless studies showing that men with low T levels have deficiencies in both of these minerals.
- Oyster Extract: Oyster extract is extremely high in zinc and also contains a balance of other trace elements required for health and supporting optimal hormone levels. Some of these include amino acids, essential vitamins, and fish oil. My leading test booster for lean muscle gains contains oyster extract. You can read my review here: TestoFuel Male Review.
- Ginseng: Ginseng may boost testosterone by stimulating cell growth. It also reduces the types of hormones known to cause low T.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek is responsible for enhancing libido and increasing your sex drive. Though more research is desired, many experts agree that the saponins contained in Fenugreek have a direct impact on sex hormones.
*D-Aspartic Acid (DAA) is worth mentioning. There are many effective testosterone boosters that include DAA.
However, there has not been enough research and hard-evidence proving that it actually increases testosterone. However, DAA is known to have a positive impact on performance.
**The supplement I mentioned earlier actually contains all of the above ingredients. I encourage you to read about my experience here.
Potential Side Effects of Test Boosters
As you may have suspected, there are some potential negative side effects that come with taking testosterone boosters. Granted, most of them are mild and rare.
*I’ve personally never known anyone that’s experienced harsh side effects from a natural test booster. As far as non-natural supplements, that’s another story!
None the less, it’s important to know what the potential side effects are before purchasing a testosterone supplement.
I’m going to give you two scenarios below:
- Possible side effects from taking natural testosterone boosters
- Potential negative side effects of taking prohormones, synthetic, or non-natural substances.
The reason I’m giving you both is that there’s a tremendous difference between natural test boosters and, well, you know, the other stuff. And this is where the core questions stem from do natural testosterone boosters really work?
I include both types because you’re more than likely going to come across both. I want you to be able to make an educated decision.
Here are some of the potential side effects from natural testosterone boosters:
- May cause slight increase in aggression
- Skin reaction (oily, possible acne)
- Increase in sexual desire and arousal (this may sound good, but can sometimes be annoying for your partner – if so, just take matters into your hands!)
Here are some of the possible side effects from prohormones, synthetic, and non-natural substances (source reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar, MD at webmd.com):
- Oily skin and bad acne
- Water retention
- Increased aggression/mood swings
- Irritable mood and increased temper
- Potential increase of heart attack or stroke
- Increase the risk of blood clots
- Breast enlargement (if nothing is taken to balance estrogen levels)
- Decrease in sperm count
Pros and Cons of Taking Testosterone Supplements
Now you know what testosterone supplements are and what they do. You have also learned about some of the benefits of increasing your testosterone levels.
In contrast, we’ve also gone over some of the potential side effects of taking test boosters.
Now I’d like to break down the pros and cons of taking natural testosterone boosting supplements. I want to reiterate that this is only for natural test boosters.
I’m not covering the other junk because I would much rather see you go with something natural. As you’ve just read, there’s much risk in going the other route.
Pros of Natural Test Boosters:
- Assurance of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that you may be deficient of
- Ability to gain lean muscle mass and increase your strength
- Turns your body into a fat-burning machine
- More energy throughout the day
- Ability to workout harder
- Combats the aging process (read more about testosterone and aging here)
- Stronger drive and increased libido
- Improved body composition and muscularity
- Improved mental state and brain function
- Better overall sense of well-being
Cons of Natural Test Boosters:
- Can be expensive
- Needs to be taken consistently (as directed by the label)
- There are possible mild side effects that may occur
- Results are typically not immediate; you need to give it a few weeks to really kick-in
- Results may not be extreme
Are All Natural Test Boosters the Same?
Not all testosterone boosters are created equally. There are some natural test boosters that work better than others. And unfortunately, there are many that are complete crap (this why I started this site; to steer you away from supplements that don’t work and to save you money).
It’s true that sometimes you have to go through trial and error to see what works best for you (and what doesn’t). But I can at least give you some important things to look for in a high-quality test booster.
The effectiveness and quality of the ingredients are the most important aspect. Make sure the testosterone supplement you’re buying goes through some sort of quality control or third-party testing. Here’s an interesting article on quality assurance for supplements.
You also want to do research on your own but this will get you started on the right track to making some gains (It’s Gains O’ Clock….can’t remember where I heard that, but it’s hilarious!).
Signs of a high-quality test booster:
- Contains proven ingredients
- List the precise dose of each ingredient
- Appropriately and effectively dosed (many test boosters fall short here)
- Reputable brand
- Unbiased ‘good’ reviews (keyword here: unbiased!)
- Certified or goes through quality assurance and testing
Stay away from products that:
- Contain proprietary blends (the core ingredients are often under-dosed)
- Contain too many ingredients you can’t pronounce (I’m being a bit sarcastic here but many test boosters will contain ingredients with long-winded scientific-sounding names that are just complete garbage)
- Supplements that make ridiculous claims (like ‘You’ll gain 50 lbs of muscle in one month, bro!’ – I’ve never actually seen that particular claim, but I know you’ve seen these types of crazy promises)
Conclusion: Do Natural Testosterone Boosters Really Work?
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and now we arrive at the ultimate question: Do natural testosterone boosters really work?
From my personal experience and the experience of many others I know, the answer is yes, they do work.
However, most natural test boosters are not going to give you immediate results. And don’t expect your results to be exaggerated or extreme. This is especially true if your goal is to gain more muscle mass.
The gains will indeed come. But like any natural supplement, it takes time to work. So this requires patience on your part. And if you want to get the most out of a natural testosterone booster, it’s going to take consistency on your part as well. This means you must be serious about your workouts and nutrition.
The benefits of taking a natural test booster far outweigh not taking anything to optimize hormones. If you’re over 30 years old, I recommend that you certainly look into supplementation.
The essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals test boosters provide are a good enough reason to take something.
I want to conclude by helping you decide what type of test booster is right for you. This depends on your personal goals.
Do you want to:
- Gain muscle?
- Get stronger?
- Have the energy to be more active?
- Kick your bedroom life into high gear?
- Or just be healthier, in general?
Most natural testosterone boosters will help you with all of these. But there are some that cater to one or more of the specific goals above.
I encourage you to check out my Top-Rated Testosterone Booster.
The label for this product contains the essential test boosting ingredients and each ingredient is appropriately dosed.
- 9 Body Hacks to Naturally Increase Testosterone by Dr. Mercola, July 27, 2012: https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/07/27/increase-testosterone-levels.aspx
- How Testosterone Benefits Your Body: https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-testosterone
- TestoFuel’s Unique Winning Formula: https://www.testofuel.com (see ingredients tab)
- Erectile Dysfunction and Testosterone Replacement Therapy reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar, MD, October 29th, 2017: https://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/guide/testosterone-replacement-therapy#1
- Optimizing Testosterone Levels in Aging Men by Paul D. Navar, MD, July 2008: https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2008/7/Optimizing-Testosterone-Levels-in-Aging-Men/Page-01
- Dietary Supplement Laboratory Quality Assurance Program: The First Five Exercises by Melissa M. Phillips, 2011: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3173719/