If you want to build your best body ever, there’s one thing you will absolutely need: testosterone. In fact, it’s impossible do build muscle without it.
In this post, I’m going to give you 10 ways to increase testosterone naturally for lean muscle gains.
10 Ways To Increase Testosterone Naturally To Gain Lean Muscle
**Note: I encourage you to take these tips seriously and be consistent. I also have a plan for you to implement that will help you in the areas you may struggle in, so keep reading…
1 – Just Lift, Bro! Seriously, Hit The Gym
By reading this article, I have to assume you already workout. If by chance you do not, or if you’re not consistent, I challenge you to start (like, today!).
Here’s two workout formats you can start (one for beginner’s, and one for those who already train):
Monday: Back and Chest
- Deadlifts: 3 x 8
- Barbell Rows: 3 x 8
- Bench Press: 3 x 8
- Incline Bench Press: 3 x 8
- Squats: 3 x 8
- Leg Press: 3 x 8
- Leg Extensions: 3 x 8
- Leg Curls: 3 x 8
Friday: Shoulders and Arms
- Seated Overhead Press: 3 x 8
- Lateral Raises: 3 x 8
- EZ Bar Curls: 3 x 8
- Close-Grip Bench Press: 3 x 8
- Deadlifts: 4 x 3-5
- Barbell Rows: 4 x 8
- Dumbbell Rows: 4 x 8
- Lat Pulldowns: 3 x 10
- Cable Pullovers: 3 x 15
Tuesday: Chest and Biceps
- Bench Press: 4 x 6-8
- Incline Bench Press: 4 x 8
- Dumbbell Press: 4 x 8
- Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 3 x 10
- EZ Bar Curls: 3 x 8
- Hammer Dumbbell Curls: 3 x 10
- Squats: 4 x 6-8
- Leg Press: 4 x 12
- Leg Extensions: 4 x 15
- Stiff-Leg Deadlifts: 4 x 10
- Leg Curls: 4 x 15
- Calve Raises: 5 x 15-20
Friday: Shoulders and Triceps
- Seated Barbell Press: 4 x 6-8
- Arnold Press (Seated Dumbbell Press): 4 x 8
- Lateral Raises: 3 x 10 – superset with below exercise
- Bent-Over Raises: 3 x 10
- Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 8
- Rope Pressdowns: 3 x 10
2 – Don’t Be Afraid To Lift Heavy Weights
Take a look at the above two workouts I just gave you. Notice the first exercise in each workout…
These are compound exercises, and you should be going heavy on these.
Lifting heavy weights is one of the best ways to increase testosterone naturally.
Here are the exercises you should consider going heavy one:
- Bench Press
- Barbell Rows
- Overhead Press
3 – Do Early Morning Exercises For A Natural Boost in Test
Do you know when the best time to workout is? Early morning!
Why? Because your hormones (your testosterone) is typically at its peak among waking. So take advantage of this time and set your alarm for 5AM (most gyms open at 5AM, or you can opt for a 24/7 gym if that’s available in your area).
4 – Take Your Vitamins and Minerals To Support Healthy Hormone Levels
One of the most simple ways to increase testosterone naturally for lean muscle gains is to ensure you’re giving your body the essential vitamins needed.
It sounds easy but you’d be surprised how many neglect taking daily vitamins. The point is you need to optimize your body’s ability to function and perform so that you can boost testosterone.
Jay at AWorkoutRoutine.com confirms the two most crucial vitamins and minerals for increasing testosterone are:
- Vitamin D
So make sure you’re getting plenty of those along with your daily vitamins.
**You can also read about our top testosterone booster, which is also rich in essential vitamins and nutrients, here
5 – Meat Is Good For Increasing Testosterone
Yes, meat is delicious! And if you want to increase testosterone, you should eat plenty of it!
Why is meat important for optimizing testosterone? Meat, especially steak, is packed with protein, some fats and essential nutrients your body needs to support healthy hormone levels.
So go have a nice steak dinner tonight!
6 – Just Say No To Sugar
Arnold Schwarzenegger called sugar ‘white death.’ Here’s how sugar can prevent you from increasing testosterone naturally:
- You will typically crash from the sugar high (putting you in a slump)
- Sugar can kill your energy levels (leading to poor workouts and lack of activity)
- Sugar does damage to your body, spiking your insulin and causing fat gain (which inhibits testosterone)
Here are some things you can do instead to satisfy your sweet tooth:
- Eat dark chocolate (obviously in moderation)
- Eat fresh, organic fruits and vegetables
- Gradually decrease your overall sugar intake (this will reset your brain to no longer craving it)
7 – Cut Out Testosterone Killing (Processed) Foods
If you want to completely kill your testosterone, eat processed foods. This is the number one thing you should cut out completely!
You may ask… ‘What’s so bad about processed foods, and how does it impact your testosterone levels?’
Take a look at the label on any processed food. You’re going to see a long list of ingredients (many of which you can’t pronounce). The problem is your body cannot use those foreign ingredients, so two things happen:
- Your body stores these ingredients as fat
- and/or they potentially cause disease and harm to your body
None of this is good for your testosterone or your health.
8 – Eat Your Healthy Fats and Carbs
Notice I said fats and carbs. Yes, your body needs both if you’re looking for ways to increase testosterone for lean muscle gains.
My advice here is don’t get caught up in the latest trendy fad diets. Those will come, and they will go (if only they would go sooner than later!).
You need healthy fats to boost testosterone production, and you also need good sources of carbohydrates for muscle recovery. David at HowToBeast.com explains the importance of both fats and carbs for boosting test.
9 – Don’t Stress Out (Stress Doesn’t Boost Test)
Another testosterone killer is stress. How?
Stress raises your cortisol levels, which in turn can do cellular damage, and literally destroying your testosterone levels. It’s crucial to avoid being stressed out. Dr. Mike Hart explains further in a HufintonPost.com article how stress relates to decreased testosterone.
Here are some ways to reduce or eliminate stress:
- Go to the gym/exercises (remember, I gave you two full workout plans earlier)
- Practice meditation
- Do Yoga, Tai Chi or some form of fluid body movement and stretching daily
- Get rid of clutter (both physical and mental clutter)
10 – Increase Testosterone Naturally By Getting Enough Rest
Some experts say get eight hours of sleep, and others say six or seven. But one thing is for sure, if you’re not getting enough quality sleep, you’re testosterone levels may take a hit.
Also, UpLiftFitness.com goes deeper into how sleep is responsible for cognitive function, your immune system, and workout recovery. To add, this has a direct impact on your reproductive system, which is linked to testosterone.
The best thing to do is listen to your body as you may require more or less rest than what is recommended. And sometimes that may depend on your daily activities and ability to recover. Always be willing to cater to your sleep schedule to what your body is telling you.
Your Homework: Do This Now!
Chances are you may already be in the green with most of these ways to increase testosterone naturally for lean muscle gains. But there may be a couple of areas you struggle in.
Here’s what I want you to do…
- Get a pen and a notebook (yes, we’re going old school here)
- Write down the areas you need to improve (go back through the post here)
- Now, below each of those problem areas, write out a feasible strategy. (Example: Let’s say your struggle is eating sugar and processed foods…your strategy is to make a grocery list that only contains healthy foods, and carry that list with you so that you only get what you need at the store, not the junk)
- Do this for each area that you want to improve in, and make a commitment to yourself right now that you’re going to follow through
Should You Also Take A Natural Testosterone Booster for Lean Muscle Gains?
I saved this section for last because taking a natural testosterone booster isn’t required for reaching and maintaining healthy testosterone levels. I’ve just given you several ways to increase testosterone naturally for lean muscle gains. So make sure you have those down first.
However, taking a testosterone booster can certainly help you, especially if your goal is building more lean muscle.
If you’re interested in taking your physique to the next level, then I encourage you to read about my recommended testosterone booster for lean muscle gains.